Thursday, December 2, 2010

Happiness




My intention with this post is to help inspire you and refresh your perspective of happiness. In my world, I think that we are obligated to be healthy and happy individuals. I have found out over the past 30 years of my life that happiness truly doesn't come from money, other people, fame or material objects, it has to come from within.  This really hit home for me after I had heard this concept at a young age and naturally wanted  to test it. To make a long story short, the tests did not fail and what I learned was that it was true.  Happiness must come from within - true happiness. For some, this takes time as nothing is a quick fix.  I am a believer that there is no such thing as a quick fix.  This only gives you the opportunity to procrastinate in areas where you need the most attention. The most effective way to solve a problem is to learn about it and simply shift your mind and apply a bit of effort.

Over the years I have come up with the following list of ways that I found that make me happy on a regular basis. Here are 5 keys to my happiness and I will post more in upcoming weeks!

1.Surround yourself with Incredible People
This is one of the most powerful ways to improve your level of happiness.  Incredible People are the ones who make you feel incredible just by being around them. They emote positive energy and are truly happy.  Stop wasting time with people whose goal is to only bring you down (usually to their level).  Surround yourself with those who truly want to see you happy and succeed. 


2.  Regret Nothing.
We have to understand that everything in life happens for a reason, good or bad. Have you ever considered that sometimes not getting what you want can be good luck? Don't waste your precious time with questions of "what if I had done this differently" or "what if I hadn't broken up with my ex?".  Those things are not real and the world does not evolve around them. Be real and don't look back.  Everything you do is because that is the decision you needed at that very moment to get you where you are today.  

3.  Appreciate the Simple Things.
Of course I think that my dad is one of the smartest people in the world.  Him and my mom went from nothing to something over time through hard work, a winner attitude and appreciating the simple things in life. I adopted the appreciation of simple things from them.  I noticed this started to make me more happy.  It is really the simple things in life that make you happy like laughing with friends, hugs from your children, and breathing in the fresh air.  Sometimes when things don't go your way, just know that others may have it worse and that find the positive in the situation.

4.  Educate Yourself

Read alot.  It will change your perspective and maybe even your attitude towards different aspects of life and make you more happy. It doesn’t matter what you read, as long as it is inspiring and relevant to you. Information is a powerful tool that we have easy access to now more than ever before.  Learning keeps you young, intrigues the mind and helps to unfold new thoughts and ideas.  There have been many times before that I would be inspired to do something after reading a book.  Inspiration gives you momentum and momentum sometimes has the ability to change your life so don't stop reading!

5.  Move your Body and Eat Healthy


Your body is meant to do physical work and is meant to perform at its optimal level with a diet of whole, natural foods.  If you take away from this prescription to health, your body will tell you through ailments and disease.  Getting fresh oxygen into your blood through the form of exercise is important to sustain a level of happiness and it help to balance your hormones, improve your memory, fight disease and keep you happy. Without health, it can be difficult to be happy so no matter what your fitness level, move your body. 

6.  You are In Control

Everything in life happens becuase of your choices and actions. You are in control of your life and nobody else.  Accept the fact that where you are in your life today is because of YOU.  Take responsibility and if there is something you do not like about yourself or where you are, change it.  Being happy is a choice and you are in the driver's seat.


No comments:

Post a Comment